HVAC Energy Efficiency: Important Ratings You Should Know

HVAC Energy Efficiency Important Ratings You Should Know

When buying an energy-efficient HVAC system, it’s imperative to look for the ENERGY STAR® logo. However, not all products that bear this label perform the same. If you want to buy the most efficient unit for your property, pay attention to these important ratings.

EER

The Energy Efficiency Ratio measures the cooling capacity, expressed in BTUs, of certain air conditioning systems over their wattage. For instance, a 12,000-BTU AC that uses 1,166 watts has an EER of 10.2. The higher EER rating means the greater energy efficiency.

HSPF

Standing for Heating Seasonal Performance Factor, HSPF is generally used for measuring heat pump efficiency. It’s the ratio of heat generated to the electricity used over a typical heating season. Like EER, the higher the HSPF rating means the better. The most energy-efficiency heat pumps on the market today have a maximum of rating of 10.

AFUE

Shorthand for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, this rating reflects the fuel efficiency of furnaces. Ranging from 30 to 100, the higher the AFUE means the more fuel the unit translates into usable energy. For example, a product with an 80 rating means it converts 80% of fuel into heat while the remaining 20% gets lost through the exhaust and wasted.

SEER

The Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio shows the air conditioning power of over an average cooling season. It’s a ratio of cool air created to total electric energy consumed.

Although it’s universally recognized as an AC measurement for energy efficiency, some experts warn that it might not tell the whole story. The SEER rating doesn’t take location into account and rather assumes that the cooling needs in all areas are equal.

Talk to a Heating and Air Conditioning Expert in Claremont

Let McLay Services, Inc. help you find the most suitable, energy-efficient heating and air conditioning system for your property. Our specialists can help you explore different products, and narrow down your best options based on their specifications. Call us at (909) 392-2202 now or fill out this form to talk about your HVAC needs.